Friday, April 27, 2012

Xenomorph

Because Prometheus is just around the corner (days are counting down) and I need to talk about something that begins with an "X", I'm choosing to write about the Alien xenomorph.
Most people who have seen the movie Alien find the xenomorph itself pretty disturbing. There is also something totally and undeniably horrifying about the derelict spacecraft in which the eggs are found. The details shown in the sketches of the book "Giger's Alien" imply that the spacecraft (that we see in the Prometheus trailer) has a design and function related to something unimaginably malignant by any human standard of the definition of "malignancy". Perhaps "malignancy" is not even the right word here. The derelict goes beyond that. It encompasses an entire system of systematic obliteration of life which goes beyond any human definition of evil. 

I think it's a good thing that this object (and creature) exists only in our fantasies. I think it would be disturbing to share the universe with a species as terrible and horrific as the one envisioned by H.R. Giger (the creator of the Xenomorph creature).
Available now for $4.99
from Amazon Kindle.
Click here to learn more.

As a writer of science-fiction, I've taken many cues from Mr. Giger in my own work. In "Slipstream" I have a god-like being who went insane when his personality split down the middle. The evil side of this god-like being wanted nothing to do with the good, law-abiding side. So much so, that it cut itself in half and replaced the human aspect of itself with machine. Horrific as that may sound, both sides of this avatar survive independently of one another. To know more, well, I hope you'll invest in my book.

Generally speaking, however, it's this sort of characteristic that's a trait of Giger's biomechanical style: I don't think there are many (intelligent) people who would like to see Giger's worlds being realized, because if such was the case, they would be in a heck of a lot of trouble. And the same goes for the dystopian world of Avalon in my book. It's been described as a dark fantasy filled with exciting and original monsters, if not a bit horrific.

But I bow to the master that is H.R. Giger. I wonder how this man (H.R. Giger) even sleeps at night, with the thoughts that must occupy his head.

31 comments:

  1. Wouldn't want to meet one of these down a dark alley. Or a bright one.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. This creature sure is one of the freakiest out there... H.R. Giger has a pretty awesome imagination though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What function did the creature perform to justify its existence, I wonder.

    Not really like humans in that it built cities. More like ants?

    The first two Alien movies were some of the best cinematic shows ever, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His images are disturbing to the point of evil. Not crazy about his work but he did create an amazing alien creature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has to be the most scary and evil alien ever invented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary stuff. I remember that movie and thinking I hope there are not any of those things out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two boxsets of the Alien Saga. I've devoured both of them in detail, including the commentaries. I remember watching the artwork segment...even then, before the series had been made, it looked disturbing. But Scott had the vision to create the environment to seal the fate of the creator. When Cameron came on board, he virtually supplemented to the whole myth and brought in the queen.

    Man, like you said: I don't know how he can sleep at night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw Alien as a teen and recently watched it again with my teen. The only thing I found dated about it (besides the characterization of the black guy) was the thing where the alien looked like a guy in an alien suit when he walked around toward the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Their sole purpose is to feed and multiply. Just like ants. If nature truly does mimic itself then I'm pretty sure there is an alien race that does just that. I only hope we have enough advanced weapons to fight them when they discover our planet.

    By then me and you will have already crossed over. Hehe. I bet some of you are reeling at the thought. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes what else could X have been? When I watched "Alien Resurrection" I felt bad they killed the alien-human hybrid. It just wanted its mommy. Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That egg scene was disturbing. I have that scene and another movie scene stamped in my brain (under the horrible category) for the rest of my life. The other "egg" scene is from some old black and white movie about gargoyles. I'm going to google that movie. I saw it when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He probably sleeps like a baby ;)
    I love me some aliens, but man, i do not want to live in that world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The missus sat down and watched Aliens for the first time with me last week. She says there is no way she'll watch the first one though. Still, I'm so stoked for this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first Alien film was so scary that I never went any further in the series but my son has just finished all of them and loves them. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The xenomorph gives me nightmares! Seriously, it scares me to death!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, this creature's elongated hammerhead and ultra-sharp teeth set my teeth grinding. This guy's lucid dreams must be way worse than my most bada*s nightmares. But we love to be scared, don't we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to write more horror stories than I do now, and I can distinctly recall helping get myself to sleep on insomniac nights by lying in bed, in the dark, thinking about some of my more horrifying stories. It's a bit different when it's your own imagination.

    I also have a theory that we find things more disturbing the more they get away from looking like a human. Spiders and crabs are disturbing to me because they have too many legs that bend the wrong way, and too many eyes.

    Even more disturbing, I think, are symmetries that we can't understand or related to, and that's what Giger seemed to rely on: shapes and repetitions and outlines that LOOK alien and so we automatically equate them with "bad."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Come to think of it, these things are kind of like viruses. Like if a virus evolved into a full organism. They invade and replicate in much the same manner.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those aliens freaked me out! That first move was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm bummed. I found a sitter and set up another couple to see this movie with us this weekend only to discover it's not out yet. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. X is a hard one. Good thing Prometheus is coming out this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  22. The xenomorph is frightening for sure. I think it's the biomechanical aspects of the creature. Like it's a creature wearing armor.

    For me, I freaked when the xenomorph showed its pharyngeal jaws that came flying out of it's larger main mouth.

    Prometheus is going to ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the Alien movies, but I have to cover my eyes when that thing gets in the picture. And when the baby one bursts out of the guy's stomach? Gah. It's turnaway time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The first alien movie scared the wits out of me, which must be why I saw the others! I wondered what you would post for X. Two more and you're done! Next time you visit my blog, please help me choose my book hook. I'm going nuts from the disagreements!

    ReplyDelete
  25. One creepy-looking alien. It's interesting how anything that blends insect and/or reptile anatomy with a human form seems to come across that way.


    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  26. Will have to give it to you -- you have the best "X" I've seen today. Never heard of a xenomorph until now. Reminds me of the TV movie "V".

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would never sleep if I had those things in my head, which is why I'm glad someone else does. It's so cool to watch these movies, but I'm glad they don't occupy my thoughts too much. I'm such a wimp!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yep, that's a horrid looking creature. I wonder the same thing about Stephen King, thinking he's probably scared himself more than halfway to death already.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've never seen Alien. (Insert horrified gasp here.) It's on my to-watch list though. Maybe someday I will get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've seen Alien, I didn't know that was the name of the creature!

    That makes it feel more real, it having a name. Even though I know its not...if you know what I mean.

    Disturbing!

    ReplyDelete