Monday, June 16, 2014

To those of you who ask if Game of Thrones will ever eclipse Tolkien, the answer is that it's done that already.

Game of Thrones brought to a conclusion its best season yet last night. And as the credits rolled across the screen, I decided that this is one story that really does well as a series rather than a movie. For one, a movie would never have time to follow along with each point of view character. And second, the conversion to film breathes a different kind of life into written words. For example, music makes certain scenes greater than they actually are because of the emotional impact, and a skilled director can bring together certain pairings in the narrative that you don't see when you're reading. The final episode of season 4 was called "The Children." And it really is perfect, because the children in the story are making their impact known in every single storyline from Westeros to the far North and to the shores of Mereen.

I guess I was moved by last night's episode. As the music played and Varys gazed up at the Red Keep and heard the bells toll for what could only be something absolutely terrible that Tyrion had wrought, he silently turned his back and got on board the ship that originally was meant only for Tyrion's escape. Seeing Varys do this was emotionally powerful, because we knew just as he knew that there was no going back. Not if he valued his life. I suppose the saying goes, when one door closes another may open and Varys, if anyone, has the keys to many doors.
And then the story shifts to Arya who willingly departs from someone that offers safety to pursue her own way in the world. Nothing good can come from someone filled with so much hatred. But this doesn't change the fact that Arya has suffered many wrongs and has every reasons to fully worship and embrace the teachings of the god of death. Perhaps this is a lesson about life. That children are sculpted by the experiences of their childhood and when terrible things happen to the young, they carry these things with them into adulthood and become a curse upon the world.
And then there's Bran. When I'm reading the books, I really dread the Bran chapters. They never go anywhere and for the most part are filled with too many "Hodors" for my taste. But in the show, this character is interesting because they truncate all the things that irritate me into a cohesive story about a child looking for a way to help his family. Bran is pursuing the truth behind his powers, clinging to the only thing that gives him strength: the ability to warg. And his quest came to an end in last night's episode in the care of the Children of the Forest (who just might be cannibals if you ask me). Well "cannibal" might be a misnomer as the "children" are clearly elves without calling them that. So maybe I should just say, "slightly inhuman humans who may just find regular humans to be as tasty as pie."

In both book and film, Bran is so far North he might as well be lost to the world. There, surrounded by the same necromancy that animates the White Walkers, an undead horde tries to get at him in a cave that's protected by the magic of the Children of the Forest. On a floor full of human bones that does not bode well for Hodor and Meera Reed (because well...children need to eat), we are left wondering what Bran could possibly do to "fly" in this place. But the Tree he has come to see assures him that he'll fly. I just wonder if it's going to be in the guise of one of Daenerys' dragons.

And Daenerys' dragons are probably the most troubled of the children. We kind of knew it was coming, even if you don't read the books. The foreshadowing earlier in the season of Drogon rising upon huge wings over the shepherd innocently tending to his flock was a hint that sooner or later, the greatest of Daenery's dragons would start to lunch on easy prey. So Daenerys did the responsible thing: she locked her children up for the safety of her people. She's a ruler true and true, and knows that her first responsibility is to protect the people that look to her for leadership.

I think we are at the midpoint of the story now. It's all downhill from here, and I'm sure its going to be a thrilling ride. I expect the next seasons to reveal things that I haven't read yet, and it really is exciting. I've got to hand it to George. He's got the most popular show that HBO has ever had in its entire history with 18.5 million people tuning in to watch each new episode. Game of Thrones by every which way you can measure a story IS a phenomenon. A friend asked me in the car, "Do you think George R.R. Martin will ever eclipse Tolkien?" My answer, "He's done that already. The width and breadth of Game of Thrones, and its effect on pop culture is pretty much immeasurable."

Wouldn't you agree? If you have time, listen to the song "The Children" from last night's episode. It has a nice melody and reminds me of the greatness that can happen when film and music come together to make art.

17 comments:

  1. I do think he has reached a level of mastery close to that of Tolkien, but I don't believe it's fair to talk about eclipsing Tolkien--their tales are too different so it really is a case of apples and oranges. Tolkien is high fantasy while Martin is dark/epic fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching the final episode today.
    Agree with Ted. Time will tell if he's eclipsed Tolkien, who changed fantasy forever. Martin's work is amazing and just as detailed, but I don't think it's affected the world in a similar matter yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno, that seems like saying that Justin Bieber has eclipsed Elvis just because he's sold a lot of records (or downloads) the last few years. There obviously wouldn't be a Game of Thrones without Tolkien's books, which is why his impact will always be greater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an amazing and satisfying episode. I keep wondering about that one missing dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a great episode, and a pretty great season. I'm very happy they filmed these books as a television series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have HBO, so I have to wait until it comes out on disc before I get to see them.

    The music you linked is beautiful--epic and captivating. Makes me wish I could watch the episode sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you can compare them either. Disclaimer: I haven't read The Game of Thrones but I have watched the show and so I know the story. I really like the show but I don't think the writing holds up to The Lord of the Rings (The Hobbit was also not Tolkeins greatest book and I think it was DUMB to make that a 3 part movie) and considering that Tolkein was breaking NEW ground well, I just don't think that Martin was doing anything really NEW. Now having said that, the movies of the Lord of the Rings didn't do the books justice although for Hollywood it wasn't terrible- it just wasn't great. I think the show 'The Game of Thrones' eclipses the books which is bad news for George's next book because it gives it a flow which the book does not have. Maybe Martin needed the editorial eye of the camera. But the violence is awful. I can't always watch it and I hear there's a rape this season and if that's true... I wish he'd cut that stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They used to say that about Wheel of Time, too, but, really, who, now, even knows what those books are. When the TV show ends, GoT will fade into the background just like WoT did. That's what happens with an eclipse: whatever it is eventually passes on through the light of the original and fades away into darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't say he's eclipsed Tolkien in my opinion. They are really different types of fantasy. And Martin would have to finish his series to even be considered. But HBO has done a terrific job. I do hate that the show has moved beyond the books because Martin writes so slow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A TV show has the time to do a story right. Movies only have about 2 hours, and so things must be left out.

    Tolkien was a product of his time as much as Martin is a product of this one. There are those that will always look at the past as something that can't be eclipsed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think he's anywhere near Tolkein, you might be getting a bit carried away there. See how you feel in 50 years from now (you only pass the test of time by waiting, can't second guess it just cos you like it right now).

    I do think the tv show has surpassed the books though. His writing can be very overblown.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Moody: Fifty years from now I'll be 92! Either that or dead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we might have to wait thirty or forty years to answer your question. Right now GOT is pop culture. And it's VERY popular. But you may be right that it will still be huge in years to come. It's hard to think of comparable fantasy series with worlds as big and detailed as LOTR and GOT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really cool. So many people love the series. I have so much to catch up on. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're going to kill me that I haven't read the books OR have seen the show… I KNOW. Seriously… but it's on my to do list…

    And I think books like this NEED to be turned into a television series over a movie… you've got to do the books justice. My favorite series EVER is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It premiers on Starz in August. And I'm so glad that it's not going to be ruined by the big screen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guess what--I'm going to get a new TV because my old one is an antique (seriously--25 years old). Then after a couple months I will probably get HBO and Showtime (depends on the cost), and then I will FINALLY see Game of Thrones and I won't have to skip your spoiler posts, which I'm sure are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm weird I know but I've never had any interest in Tolkien or The Lord of the Rings. For a long time I thought I hated fantasy simply because I didn't care at all about Tolkien's books when I tried to read them.
    This universe Martin created is one of my favorites ever, possibly the favorite. He's made me totally change my opinion on fantasy. Absolutely loved this season and the finale was one of the best episodes of tv I've ever watched.

    ReplyDelete