Monday, August 24, 2015

Fear the Walking Dead is already better than The Strain and it's only one episode in.

The pilot for Fear the Walking Dead was really really good. It accomplished for me what another apocalyptic undead tale, The Strain, simply fails at. In the 90 minute pilot we got introduced to a junkie named Nick Clark, who stumbles his way around a derelict church where all the other junkies have been killed and eaten presumably by his friend Gloria (a zombie) who (I think) probably overdosed on heroin and then became a walker. And although there was plenty of gore, the show emphasized suspense and atmosphere over action, and in this prequel (which takes place during Rick Grimes' coma) it really works.

The thing that I love about the show are the ominous portrayal of events. A troubled student hints that something strange has started happening across the country. Then there are the horrific events that went down at the church where all the junkies shoot up. There's moody, cinematic lighting, sound, and pacing that actually had me a bit "on edge" even though I just met these characters. And then there's the traffic grinding to a halt with helicopters blaring for "all people to stay with their cars." It's the kind of thing that has just enough "down the rabbit hole" content to it to engender a sense of disquiet and unease in the audience. It's masterful storytelling, and I can't wait until next week's episode.

I almost wish I could tell these characters that what they are witnessing is not just a phenomenon. It is the end of the world, and the crazy has only just barely started.

12 comments:

  1. I'm really excited about this show after seeing the first episode. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caught the first two minutes, but we watched something else. Good to hear it's off to a good start. I gave up on The Strain after about eight episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems the beginning of these series are always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We recorded it last night and will be watching this evening, so I'll be back to read your post then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All my WD fans thought Fear was excellent. I too couldn't stay with The Strain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have to watch it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it's good. I've been hearing good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing I wish is they had gone full family drama for a few episodes. Make nothing happen but interactions between a couple of families and their daily problems. Get us to care for 15+ characters like a show such as Modern Family. As the first episodes were shot in LA, it would have been easy to get recognizable actors for a brief shoot. That would up the suspense when the zombies attack because right now I'm pretty sure I can name everyone that is going to make it.

    The one thing viewers never have had to experience in the original is the gut wrenching shock when 90% of the people in the world are turned into zombies. Can you imagine watching Big Bang Theory and seeing everyone but Leonard die then turn? Making us watch people we like die one after another would have been amazing. Instead it feels like we are setting up for a chase scene like what we saw in the movie, 2012.

    I'm sure a more epic drama was impossible for budget reasons and because the producers are giving the audience what they think we want. I like the show so far but I was hoping for something like what Better Call Saul did for Breaking Bad. We got the Walking Dead Part 2 and that's not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't decided if I want to watch it yet-- I just don't know if I want to watch more zombies but I do think it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh. It's zombies, so I won't be watching either show, but it's good to know there's an ominous atmosphere and foreshadowing, which means there's some pretty good writing going on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We watched it last night and my wife thought it much more compelling than I did. I remember the nervous excitement of the first Walking Dead episode which struck like a thunderbolt when Rick left the hospital. I thought this beginning good on character development but a bit slow. My wife says I'm nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ewwwww… I'm still too scared to watch… I saw ONE scene---the very first one in the opening episode and I was like, "Nope. Noooooope." And walked away. :)

    And holy… it feels weird to comment on a blog. It's been forevveerrr for me. I've missed you, Michael! I need to scroll through and catch up on all your fabulous posts. I hope you're surviving the battle. Any Utah writer thingies coming up? I want to hang with you again!

    ReplyDelete